Friday, June 25, 2010

No sleep for mom

For many, many years, well... at least as long as I can remember, I have had insomnia. It flares up from time to time and gets really bad, but I usually have it. I don't really think of it as insomnia, but my sleep schedule. Allowed to sleep when my body wants and I will fall asleep at 3 or 4AM and wake up around 11AM - that is perfect for me. Unfortunately, I live in the world and have had to adapt to a more "regular" sleep/wake routine. Now that I don't work, I'm back to being nocturnal. The only bad thing about this is that my daughter is being affected. I think she is picking up this same strange nighttime routine. I'd love for her to be a good sleeper and to not have to adapt every Fall for school, but she may be hardwired for no sleep like her mom.

If it were just an unusual or irregular schedule it would be fine, but I end up feeling depressed and a little like a misfit for having unusual sleep habits. It's a lonely time - being awake and knowing every infomercial by heart... watching the same old movies over and over again because it makes me feel comforted when I'm awake for hours with no company.

I guess it might be good to have Penn on the same sleep schedule... at least we can keep each other company...


No comments:

Post a Comment